“First Things First”
FINDING THE THERAPIST
As with any type of therapy you need to find the right therapist for you!
You want to feel comfortable and respected that you are being heard for your goals in therapy.
Make sure to talk about confidentiality in the first session and understand what the therapist policies are.
What is the therapist background and are they registered with an association.
SEX THERAPY INVOLVES
- A range of therapeutic processes and exercises, which can be used to initiate and restore an individual’s sexuality and/or the sexual components of an intimate relationship
I believe that Sex therapy is an opportunity for an individual or couple to know that:
- Sexuality can be a healthy and positive part of life.
- Emotional & physical intimacy is good.
PEOPLE SEARCH OUT SEX THERAPY
- Couples wishing for more intimacy
- Couples unable to talk about sex
- Individuals with sexual inhibitions
- Compulsive sexual behavior
- Sexual identity questions
- Talking to children about sex
- Fostering healthy sexual development
- Individuals wanting to improve their sexual functioning
- Sexual orientation
SEX & CANCER
After a diagnosis of Cancer, it is natural to go into action mode and concentrate on treatment.
After treatment is done, many people recognize and describe how diagnosis and cancer treatments impact on their sexual health and intimacy.
Through counseling, people can learn new ways to communicate/reconnect with themselves and/or with their partner.
Here are some common changes to sexual health and intimacy during and after treatment.
- Vaginal dryness
- Erectile dysfunction
- Pain with intercourse
- Low desire
- Body image concerns
- Family Roles and Relationship changes
Don’t stop enjoying sex and what is normal for you – reach out for therapy and connect with yourself again!
Are you experiencing Anxiety in your general life or around intimacy?
With therapy one can begin to understand:
TIPS FOR HELPING SELF
- Learning to Breathe
- Learning how to be more mindful of your surroundings
- Exercise and routine exploration
- Learning to understand the difference between Reacting vs. Responding to your situations
- How do you define stress and stressful roles in your life?
- How does anxiety impact on you?
- Are you stopped from being the person you really are?
- Can you get close to someone or is there fear of attachment?
THESE THEMES ARE TALKED THROUGH IN SESSION
I believe that TALK FEEL LISTEN is good for you.
- People need to be creative with each other
- Take emotional risks in your relationship
- Talk: learning to communicate
- Feel: a state of mind/body
- Listen: pay attention
RP RSW RMFT CST